Friday, December 27, 2013

MS and BS Go Together Like Peanut Butter and Jelly

Really? Really?

Does time heal all wounds, including grief, or does it just drive them deeper into one's heart? I erased all my previous posts in a moment of deep discontentment and sadness over another's reactions to a testimony to George's suffering and death.
Why?  Because, personal perceptions dictate how truth is viewed and remembered. And, their perception was tragically flawed, giving lie to all that George endured.

My purpose and desire is that the real truth of how George suffered and why he chose to die is never lost or forgotten.  To do so would dishonor his courage, his efforts to find a way to cure his MS or at least halt its progression.  To forget what he endured is to ignore and repress what so many others are truly suffering with this disease, this MS, this Multiple Scarring of once healthy minds and bodies.

I describe my grief as a form of dis-ease, just like having a chronic, debilitating disorder like MS.  It is an undercurrent that never goes away.  No, it does not paralyze me nor take away my abilities to lead a normal physical life.  But, like MS, it changes my brain.  Grief sucks the zest from life.  It appears whenever it wants, right before falling asleep, seeing a man whose haircut reminds me of George, hearing his son 's voice telling me what he is doing, and on and on.  In other words, it takes over my life, fooling me into thinking I am doing fine and then slamming me into a funk of despair.  

MS does that all the time to those who have it.  It is beyond comprehension that observers think that MS is all about not walking or having a little numbness.  The MS society shows magazine covers of pretty healthy looking people just having a great time as they beam from their wheelchairs or bike for charity or lead such a nice well managed life.  MS and BS go together like peanut butter and jelly. Now, how do you think that picture got painted?????

Back to grief.  It is a combination of despair, deep longing, dreadful unending missing for the touch, company, voice of my beloved son.  Grief is filled with confusion as I examine all the philosophies and religious concepts that deal with the possible after life.  Mostly, it is a yearning for my life to be what it was once, when my son was alive and healthy.  

Grief gives no quarter.  There is no answer to the why, the never ending trauma of remembering the indignities and sorrow and finally, finally, seeing the moment as the light of hope left George's eyes.  It is remembering how he accepted that his life would never be what it was, that he would continue to be dependent, ill, in pain and emotionally isolated.  Grief encompasses much... but mostly it aches with the waste of a truly beloved and sweet man's life.

I don't want to hear that there is a lesson to be learned. I look at George's picture when he was vibrant, healthy, purposeful.  Then, I look at his picture when he was bedridden, paralyzed, struggling to cope with all his losses, especially not to be the Dad he wanted to be for his kids. It makes no sense.

Yes, each milestone, each month, each occasion etches another notch of hurt and pain into my soul.  Forget my heart, that was ravaged from the day he was diagnosed.  So, nine months into mourning, one birthday, Thanksgiving and now Christmas to remember that he is gone and there ain't one thing I can do about it.

Really...time heals?  Really? Really? Just ask me if you want to hear my truth.  Really....

15 comments:

  1. Aha! Now I know why you were on my mind today. I did not get the usual e-mail reminder that you even posted. I don't even have my laptop so I am pecking away with one finger. But Hilda you are that important.

    I am a widow with MS now facing kidney removal to cancer. I know grief but not yours. A mother's grief is a different kind of heartache. I just read a mother's story after losing her 6yo son in Newtown shooting. He continues t o show signs and inspire her. It's called "Healing, Nurturing love which are the words he wrote on their kitchen board. You may want to consider reading. Yes she graduated I grieves but remains hopeful. She sees his purpose now. She sees her purpose too.

    Sending you warm hugs and the knowledge you are connecting to others, like me.

    Warmly, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh auto spell. That should read she continues to grieve. Hope you get to read it.

    Yes grieving is work as you know. George is all around. Who do you think got me yo do a search to find you this day?
    Thanks George...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, My friend said it best to me today. Life does go on, and most people will remember George. But, only we, his parents, will continue to suffer from his loss for the rest of our lives. I wish you healing, if possible, and thanks, for whatever messages George is sending out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilda, there are no words that suffice, and yet you speak so eloquently. I have dedicated today's poem to George and Patrick, both of whom were touched by MS in different ways but who also left us. The link is:

    http://lapazconvos.blogspot.com/2013/12/remembering.html

    As you may know, my book is out. Falling Leaves Wisdom on page 246 is dedicated to George.

    http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Journey-Poems-Judith-Mercado/dp/149299829X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387289668&sr=1-1&keywords=judith+mercado

    May your new year find solace and be blessed by the love of those who love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, As always, you understand all that I write.
    Again, I thank you so much for remembering George and paying tribute to him in your book.
    As for Patrick, I did not know of him, but having read his blog, I hope that he too has found a peace beyond this world.
    And, may you too find some hope and solace in this world that we endure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do want to hear your truth. That is why we search out your words. That is why your words are read. We cry with you we want you to know that. We cannot cry with your intensity. .. You are his MOTHER. There is no
    measure for that. No measure of love or grief. Or despair. We can only hope you are able to endure the life you were dealt with. We tune in and hope, someway, somehow, not that you will be at peace with what happened to him for that seems impossible, But that you can still function for the family you still have, those here on earth that still need you. You have so much to teach them. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I believe that you do identify with my grief. I thank you for your compassion and empathy. I am now a different person for all time. I have a new normal, one that has forced on me by George's suffering and death. I do not like it, but I am able to endure it. I exist for those left that I love. My grandchildren and remaining children open my heart for moments at a time.
      As for teaching them anything, I have found that life teaches and what you learn is up to you. Thank you for your words, and your memory of George. He was truly worthy of them.

      Delete
  7. Hilda,
    I went to George's page today just because I was thinking of him.
    I was thinking of you, too and was pleasantly surprised to see your post when I checked your page.
    I'm glad you still post and express your feelings. I guess I feel somewhat still connected to George by hearing his mother's words. Thanks for that.
    This life journey we are on is incomprehensible to those who are not touched by it in a personal way and it sucks (excuse me language).

    Dee/OH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee,
      Sucks describes it perfectly. Never apologize for your authentic words and feelings. I believe that George had a talent for connecting to people, and his words are still doing that, maintaining the bond, as well as bringing validity
      to what MSers are enduring. Thanks for reading...I guess I just have to keep writing.

      Delete
  8. So sad so many deserted and hurt George, you were his rock. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was deserving of all of our devotion. He was betrayed at the worst time of his life. Too many did not truly understand the components of the disease. I would NEVER have deserted him even if I died caring for him. He could not live as he was no matter what anyone thinks. His choice...his right. Thank you for keepeing his memory alive.

      Delete
  9. Just wanted you to know you are on my mind today.. how is life treating you today?

    Hugs,Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, Strange to find a middle road.....accepting of George's death, yet bitter and sad that it is so real and final. I doubt that it will ever really change. Hope you are having some good days.
      H.

      Delete
  10. My dear Hilda~ Know that I think of you often from my heart.

    Just recently, my little 3yo grandson, Leo, sang HIS version of Twinkle, Twinkle little star.. using my cane as his microphone. Made me wonder how YOU are..

    I ask George to please make his presence known to you , has he in any manner? Why I hear him, still. I do not know. I do not mind. He tells me this from George to you: Mother I am close as your breath. I hold your aching heart with my hands, hoping you'll find relief from the sadness. I am fine. In fact I am more than fine. I want you to know I am no longer suffering. I will always be here for you! Just keep talking to me."

    From me to you, from George to you=Warm and loving HUGS!!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I wrote one reply, but it disappeared into the void! doing OK, but miss George constantly. Tell him I love him when he contacts you. Tell him, also, to leave a message somewhere soon.

      Hope you are well, and sure that little Leo keeps you smiling.
      Hilda

      Delete